1 Out of 4 Health Professionals in the UK are Asian
40% of student dentists & 62% of student optometrists in Britain are of Asian heritage
Asian immigration to the UK has had a major impact upon the healthcare profession. According to new research, people of Asian heritage form a substantial part of the medical world in the UK and they look set to become the majority amongst medical professionals by 2025 based on numbers who are currently studying to become doctors, dentists and optometrists.
The data, which has been gathered to mark the inaugural Asian Professional Awards, shows that Asians in the UK account for:
- 23% of doctors
– 26% of optometrists
– 19.2% of dentists
However, these figures rise massively when looking at people who are currently studying to join the professions, with Asians forming:
- 40% of dentistry students
– 62% of student optometrists
– 31% of specialty trainee doctors
Jasvir Singh, Director of the Asian Professional Awards, said “The figures are a testament to the strength and success of Asians in the UK. At a time when Britain is focussed on the issue of immigration, it is important to remember just how reliant we as a nation are upon migrant communities that have settled here and have made a large contribution to the British economy. The healthcare profession in the UK would be a completely different environment in the absence of ethnic minorities, especially people of Asian heritage.”
The Asian Professional Awards are the only pan-Asian awards in the UK designed to celebrate and honour achievement across a range of professional sectors. The inaugural ceremony will be taking place at the Emirates Stadium in North London on 27th November 2014.
Note for Editor:
For the purposes of this article, Asian means individuals of South Asian, South-East Asian, Middle Eastern and/or East Asian ethnicity, as well as people of mixed-race backgrounds who have some Asian heritage.
The statistics have been compiled from the following sources:
- http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/register/search_stats.asp in respect of ethnicity of practicing doctors as of November 2014
- https://www.optical.org/download.cfm?docid=1AE6F6E4-6CB9-430B-BE1C4193C706E4DE in respect of practitioners and students registered with the General Optical Council as of 2009
– http://www.gdc-uk.org/Newsandpublications/research/Documents/GDC%20Annual%20Survey%20of%20Registrants%202013%20Data%20Tables.pdf in respect of ethnicity of a survey sample of practicing dentists as of 2013
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00h8s8b for dentistry student figures as of 2011
- http://www.gmc-uk.org/State_of_medicine_Final_web.pdf_44213427.pdf for specialty trainee figures as of 2010
Full details of the shortlisted nominees and the Award categories can be found at: http://www.theprofessionalawards.com/shortlist-2014/